NAME OF THE ORGANISM: Bruchus rufimanus (BRCHRU)
GENERAL INFORMATION ON THE PEST
Name as submitted in the project specification (if different to the preferred name):
1- Identity of the pest/Level of taxonomic listing:
Is the organism clearly a single taxonomic entity and can it be adequately distinguished from other entities of the same rank?
Is the pest defined at the species level or lower?:
Can listing of the pest at a taxonomic level higher than species be supported by scientific reasons or can species be identified within the taxonomic rank which are the (main) pests of concern?
- Not relevant: Vegetable seed sector
Is it justified that the pest is listed at a taxonomic rank below species level?
- Candidate: Vegetable seed sector
2 – Status in the EU:
Is this pest already a quarantine pest for the whole EU?
Presence in the EU:
Justification (if necessary):
The pest is present in all EU Member States (Fauna Europaea, 2017; Seidenglanz & Huňady, 2016).
HOST PLANT N°1: Pisum sativum (PIBSX) for the Vegetable seed sector.
Origin of the listing:
1 - Vegetable seed sector: Council Directive 2002/55/EC
Plants for planting:
3 - Is the pest already listed in a PM4 standard on the concerned host plant?
4 - Are the listed plants for planting the main* pathway for the "pest/host/intended use" combination? (*: significant compared to others):
No references to evidence of infestation and damage of seeds of Pisum sativum by Bruchus rufimanus could be found. There was one record of Bruchus rufimanus loose, on stored threshed dried peas but not as a result of emergence from the harvested pea seeds (Mateus et al., 2003).
CONCLUSION ON THE STATUS:
Disqualified: no references to evidence of infestation of seeds of Phaseolus coccineus, Phaseolus vulgaris or Pisum sativum by Bruchus rufimanus could be found.
8 - Tolerance level:
Is there a need to change the Tolerance level:
Proposed Tolerance levels:
9 - Risk management measures:
Is there a need to change the Risk management measure:
Proposed Risk management measure:
- Fauna Europaea (2017) Bruchus rufimanus. All European animal species online. Museum für naturkunde, Berlin. Available online at http://www.fauna-eu.org/cdm_dataportal/taxon/25a3bd95-2b8d-4e04-b3ef-170a459cbd72;
- Mateus C, Duarte I, Sousa MT de & Mexia A (2004) Bruchids (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) on peas (Pisum sativum L.): species, geographical distribution and effect on host varieties. Bulletin OILB/SROP 27, 47-50;
- Seidenglanz M & Huňady I (2016) Effects of faba bean (Vicia faba) varieties on the development of Bruchus rufimanus. Czech Journal of Genetics and Plant Breeding 52, 22–29;